Thursday, January 15, 2009

Make My Ministry Vibrant

I have been thinking a lot lately about my ministry. I believe that it is going well, but not as well as it could be. It has been as if I have put everything in place and then let things just run themselves. In turn, I think I have been more a passive leader. I want to become an active leader, a leader that is in actively moving the ministry to become better. 

The ministry needs to become fresh and challenging. The teens are comfortable, and not really involved. They come to church, fulfill their responsibility, and go home and nothing changes. I want to preach messages that move, have activities that challenge, have conversations that convict, and friendships that last. 

I don't want to be known as a youth pastor that "is a cool guy," but I want to be a youth pastor that has made a difference.

When I talk about my ministry, I am not just talking about the youth group, but also the children's programs like Sunday school, junior church, Awana, Kids Klub, and nursery. I want to also get my hands in the college class and wake that area up. So needless to say... I have my work cut out for me. I am praying that the Lord will give me strength, and the ability to do all of this and make it great. 

In the past I have search for and thought about things that would help my ministry become more vibrant, effective, and enjoyable; they are as follows:

1.  Take pictures of the youth group activities. Hang them somewhere where the youth group can see them, and even comment on them.
2.  Use mail more (or email) to send birthday cards, affirming notes, and announcements.
3.  Use surveys and questionnaires to their best advantage. Find out what the teens are thinking on a regular basis.
4.  Never ignore a disturbance during a meeting. When a disturbance occurs, acknowledge it. 
5.  Avoid making promises the I can't keep.
6.  Get a "hot line" that would have information of upcoming activities. I think this would be more for parents. 
7.   Make a group yearbook at the end of the year. 
8.  Prepare a job description and stick to it. 
9.  Always deal with problems as they come up. They are not going to go away. 
10.  Set up a "phone chain" to help spread the word regarding upcoming events.
11.  Put together a good youth resource library.
12.  Remodel the youth room.
13.  Talk to the teens and see who they would want to keep or get as youth sponsors. 
14.  Meet regularly with my volunteer staff and sponsors for training, prayer, and fellowship. 
15.  Periodically keep track of my time to see where it is really going. 
16.  Always arrive to church or the meeting place early enough to greet the youth and their parents as they arrive, and stay late for the same reason. 
17.  Develop a program that reflects the needs, interests and energy level of the young people in the group, not the adults who work with them. 
18.  Develop realistic goals and expectations.
19.  Preview everything. I do not want to be caught off guard by videos that I have not seen, or preachers I have not heard. 
20.  Get to know the parents of the young people.
21.  Take time to read several new books each year. (one on youth ministry, management, theology, classics, and popular novels.)
22.  Avoid creating a "youth ghetto." Get youth involved in the life of the church. 
23.  Don't be afraid to smile and laugh a lot
24.  Print up brochures or postcards describing youth activities. 
25.  Plan at least two retreats a year.
26.  Lighten up and let kids be kids. They are not adults, so don't expect them to act like adults. 
27.  Communicate availability
28.  When students are helping, use that time to build them up
29.  Start a collection of something
30.  Don't do everything myself, even though I feel like I can do it better. Learn to let go and delegate. 
31.  Ask the adults of the church to "adopt an adolescent" by getting to know one of the youth and praying specifically for that young person on a regular basis. 
32.  Teach my leaders - by example - to be player-coaches in ministry. 
33.  Keep parents informed. Publish a parent's newsletter or schedule periodic meetings for questions and feedback. Lack of communication with parents can seriously handicap my ministry. 
34.  Develop a good job description for my volunteer leaders. Make sure they know exactly what is expected of them and what is not expected of them. I need to provide them with good resources for the jobs I ask them to do. 
35.  Make sure every meeting or activity is well organized
36.  Use personal illustrations when speaking to young people.
37.  Don't take myself or my circumstances too seriously. 
38.  Be able to say "I don't know."
39.  Avoid all double standard rules for leaders and students. Whatever goes for the kids goes for me and my sponsor.
40.  Deal with root causes, don't treat the symptoms. 
41.  Attend a youth ministry training event every year. 
42.  Don't make threats you can't or won't follow through on. 
43.  Make sure to have at least one male and one female adult youth sponsor working with the youth group. 
44.  Serve refreshments at meetings and activities. 
45.  Keep a file on each student. Get personal and family information, birthdays, photos, notes from personal interviews and observations, and other information. Keep it confidential
46.  Avoid counseling someone of the opposite sex in a private place. 
47.  Keep a ministry journal. Each week record and evaluate what you did with the youth group. 
48.  Surround myself with adults with whom I can go for advice or counsel. I need accountability and support. 
49.  Know the names of all the teens that pass through. Can't minister to them unless you know them. 
50.  Avoid disciplining youth in front of their peers. It is best to handle it one-on-one. 
51.  Learn to say "no." Make time for family and friends, outside interests, and personal growth. 
52.  Become a listener. Learn to withhold my opinion on everything and just listen. 
53.  Get the group involved in at least one service project each year. 
54.  Put on a drama one a year. Gives teens a chance to discover their talents. 
55.  Be a model for my teens. Whenever possible take teens with me. Let them see a christian in real life. 
56.  Don't attempt to be "one of the kids." Be an adult that loves kids. 

If you have more ideas that would help the youth ministry feel free to leave comments.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

This is a really good list,Pastor Don. I'm excited about some of the stuff you have on here. You can do it!

Ps- you're not just the 'cool guy.' You make more of a difference in the teens lives than we usually let on. We talk about it to eachother sometimes,though. You are more than just the 'cool guy'. Trust me.